New Year Energy Saving Tips
Utilities are expensive, and this time of year we’re all looking for ways to keep our money in check. The colder it is, the more you’re going to spend on heating your home. Here are a few tips for you to keep your place warm this winter, and to keep your bills down!
1. Use those ceiling fans to your advantage! You can manage your airflow by using your ceiling fan, counterclockwise will help hot air rise in the summer, while clockwise traps the heat inside your room to keep things warmer. Keep the setting on low in the winter, and let the ventilation do it’s work.
2. Keep your curtains open on all your southern facing windows during the day. Allow the sun to shine in your home and enjoy the free heat while you can. During the evening hours, close those curtains to keep the heat inside.
3. Invest in a humidifier. Keeping the air in your home moist during the winter months actually helps keep the air warmer. Humidity holds heat better than cold dry air, and will make you feel warmer too. Another great trick is to keep a lot of house plants around, they help keep the humidity high and allow you to keep your thermostat lower!
4. Keep the heat lower inside, and bundle up instead. If it’s just you at home, and you’re not worried about keeping your furry creatures warm, bundle up with some sweaters and keep the heat low. Your pipes can burst at 20 degrees Fahrenheit, so there’s no reason to keep your home at a toasty 74, you can turn it down to 68 and wear those cozy socks grandma made you.
5. Only heat the rooms you’re using. This seems like pretty common knowledge, but is easily overlooked when you’re busy working off those fudge cookies you ate over the holidays. If you don’t use the spare room, close the vents and the door. It’ll block off the excess heat from the rest of your home and save you money in the long run.
There are so many ways to maintain a warm and comfortable home without breaking the bank. If there’s ever any doubt that your HVAC or furnace isn’t working properly, call us and we’ll come out and take a look! There’s no reason to freeze, so let us take care of it for you!