REDUCE YOUR AC BILL THIS SUMMER
- 1. Seal your home! We always think about sealing the windows to keep the cool air in and the hot air out, but have you considered how many cracks are hiding in your attic, crawl space or just in the walls? Insulating your home can be a costly option, but it pays off in the long run. Cooler summers, warmer winters, and fewer spiders sounds good to us!
- 2. Install solar panels. This is another potentially expensive investment, but the perks make it worth your time and finances! They will use the sun’s energy to cool your home, keeping more money in your pocket and less with the electrical company.
- 3. Grill… a lot. Get outside and use your grill, or use appliances that give off less heat. Think crockpots and electric griddles for your meals, and avoid using the oven as much as possible.
- 4. Buy a circulating fan, or use the ceiling fan in your home. This can keep your home 6 or 7 degrees cooler, simply by dispersing the cool air better. The ceiling fan can also allow you to keep the AC a little higher with no discomfort because it’s dispersing the air that your vents can’t.
- 5. Plant tall leafy trees and bushes outside your home, to shield windows and entryways from the sun! Planting a shrub that casts its shadow over your AC can increase its efficiency up to 10%. Like with all machines, just make sure that you’re regularly cleaning up any leaves or fallen branches!
- 6. Start doing laundry at night. Oddly enough, that dryer does heat up your home quite a bit, so stop using your laundry machine during the day. It’s time to start doing laundry after the sun goes down! If you can, hang your clothes out to dry instead of using the dryer at all, eliminating the heat it pushes into your home, and cutting back on electricity.
All in all, comfort is worth the investment, and you’re going to do what works best for your family and home. We’re here to help, so if you have any trouble with your HVAC or AC unit, call us to set up an appointment today! What are some fun ways you’ve used to cut back on your air conditioning bill? We’d love to hear them!